For the last week or so I’ve read and recieved countless emails and notes about the feelings about the new uniform policy that was brought before the board by the High School teachers. One of the recent notes sent to the board and superientendent actually had some very pointed questions I think needs to be answered. I’ve been told that the High School will be putting together a parent night to get input from the community on this policy, and I urge all who can attend to do just that when its scheduled. I am listing here just a few of the questions this very well spoken new community member asked:
* The previous dress code appeared quite detailed and adequate in it’s guidelines, so what prompted the severe change?
* How many students in the 2010-2011 school year were offenders of the existing school dress code and how were they and their parents held accountable or disciplined?
* What other options were considered by the board before this policy was adopted, and how were students and parents included in this decision making process?
* Was their a public notice or hearing on the matter?
* Will a uniform be implemented for staff as well?
* Lastly, If we are not raising our children to make basic decisions about clothing, and holding them and their parents accountable for such decision making, how exactly are we serving them for a future certainly chalk-full of much greater decision-making?
The Board is responsible for directing policy based on the information given and their understanding of what is needed for educating the children in the district, but policies are a work in progress. I again ask that the parents and community attend the forum to voice their thoughts so that the board can make the correct decisions moving forward.