Some news on Education Jobs bill

I recieved an email today that i thought I would pass some info from it on to those board members who may not have gotten, and those folks around the state who follow education issues. The Jobs bill not even dry and I guess one state tried to find a way to use the money to offset state shortfalls when this is specifically for education jobs. I am attaching a note sent out by USDOE on how to utilize the funds “Education Jobs Funds are only to be used for those activities stipulated in the program guidance“.
I don’t want to say that someone in Dover may be trying to figure out how to circumvent the rules, but just so we are clear, and the public knows here is what the key parts of this bill says about spending it:

C-1. How may a State use its Ed Jobs allocation?

Each State may reserve up to 2 percent of its allocation for the costs of administering the program. The State must award the remaining portion of the allocation (at least 98 percent) to LEAs.[1] The Governor may not award those funds not reserved for State administration to entities other than LEAs.

C-7. May a Governor direct how an LEA may use its Ed Jobs funds?

No. A Governor may not direct how an LEA may use its Ed Jobs funds. LEAs have the discretion to decide how to use program funds, consistent with the provisions in section 101(5) of the Act and all other applicable requirements.

C-9. May a State retain, for any purpose, additional Ed Jobs funds beyond those authorized to be reserved for State administration?

No. All funds not reserved for State administration must flow to LEAs. Thus, a State may not, for example, retain a portion of LEA allocations to make payments into a teacher retirement system on behalf of its LEAs.

D-1. For what purposes may an LEA use its Ed Jobs funds?

An LEA must use its funds only for compensation and benefits and other expenses, such as support services, necessary to retain existing employees, to recall or rehire former employees, and to hire new employees, in order to provide early childhood, elementary, or secondary educational and related services.
——————————————————————————–

[1] State law determines whether a charter school is an LEA or a school within an LEA. A State awards Ed Jobs funds to a charter school LEA on the same basis as it awards such funds to other LEAs in the State.

So to those who watch education closely lets make sure we do as a fellow blogger has told me, and “watch the money trail”

Advertisements

About Gary M Wolfe

The Author spent 10 years as a member of the Milford Delaware Board Of Education, and is currently seeking the 18th Senatorial seat in the Delaware Legislature.
This entry was posted in Delaware Politics, Education. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Some news on Education Jobs bill

  1. Pingback: Some news on Education Jobs bill (via Education and Community News from Home Town Delaware) « Transparent Christina

  2. kilroysdelaware says:

    With no real transparency Markell will minipulate this funding. When the DE Sec of ED and the state board are appointed by the governor the public will never see the truth.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s